Kirk Montoute LLP
Schedule A Confidential Consultation:
587-331-7845 | 877-563-5295
Request more information by email
Close This Form

Complete and submit the quick form to receive more information about our legal services or to request a confidential consultation with one of our legal professionals.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish a lawyer-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Spousal support when same-sex couples in Alberta divorce or separate

When couples stand in front of each other and profess that they will be together until death do them part, the word "divorce" is nowhere on their radar. That's no different for same-sex married partners, but as with heterosexual couples, life sometimes throws a curve ball. Personal differences, no matter how hard the couple tries, cannot be always ironed out. When same-sex couples divorce, are the legalities the same as they are for heterosexual couples when it comes to spousal support?

The Supreme Court of Canada legalized same-sex marriage in all provinces in 2005. When same-sex couples who were married since then decide to end their relationship, a divorce is required. However, as with non-married heterosexual couples, those in a same-sex common-law union in Alberta don't need a divorce. 

As with heterosexual couples, one partner in a same-sex marriage can make a claim for spousal support. While a married person can in theory make a claim for spousal suppport regardless of the length of the marriage, the same is not true of non-married couples who must qualify as "Adult Interdependent Partners" to be able to make a claim for spousal support. In practical terms, they must have been living together in a "marriage-like" partnership for at least three years before separation to qualify as AIPs. 

In addition, at least one of the parties to married relationship must reside in Alberta for at least one year before being able to bring a claim for divorce and spousal support, while unmarried couples need not cross that residency threshhold before bringing a claim for spousal support.

Of course, length of the relationship is only one consideration when determining entitlement to spousal support. Other factors include the means, needs and other circumstances of each, including the functions performed by each spouse during cohabitation and any order, agreement or arrangment relating to support of either spouse.

Source: Common Sense Divorce, "Same-Sex Divorce Separation", Accessed on July 13, 2017

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Like/Follow Us On These Social Media Apps:

Go Back To The Top Of This Page