Kirk Montoute LLP
Schedule A Confidential Consultation:
587-331-7845 | 877-563-5295
Request more information by email
Close This Form

Complete and submit the quick form to receive more information about our legal services or to request a confidential consultation with one of our legal professionals.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish a lawyer-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

With no cohabitation agreement, common-law spouses may or may not have rights to property

A cohabitation agreement can be an effective way for common-law spouses in Calgary to clarify their rights and obligations during the relationship and in the event that the relationship ends. Property division at the end of a common-law relationship is not guaranteed by the Matrimonial Property Act, so many common-law spouses decide to create cohabitation agreements for peace of mind and fairness.

One of our previous posts has more on the benefits of these agreements.

In the absence of a cohabitation agreement, it may still be possible for a common-law spouse to claim a portion of assets, though this isn't possible in every case. 

In order for a court to find that a common-law spouse has a right to the other spouse's assets, it must be shown that the assets are held in a "constructive trust." Such a claim may be successful if the spouse seeking a portion of assets can prove that the assets were acquired through a "joint family venture." A common-law spouse may also have a right to assets if he or she contributed in some way to the acquisition of them.

In deciding whether common-law spouses have engaged in a joint family venture, a judge may consider a number of factors, including whether the parties' assets and debts were integrated and whether the parties put forth mutual effort in acquiring property.

Keep in mind also that former common-law spouses can come to an agreement regarding property division without asking a judge to decide. In any case, it may be a good idea to speak with a family lawyer about negotiating a fair agreement.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Like/Follow Us On These Social Media Apps:

Go Back To The Top Of This Page